Slider

What I've Learned From My 6 Year Relationship

Friday 2 February 2018



It’s officially coming up to Valentine’s Day, but it’s also coming up to my 6 year anniversary with Alex and what a better way to kick start February with a post about l o v e.

I’m not going to beat around the bush here, but relationships are bloody hard work. It’s absolutely crazy the fact that we’ve been together for 6 whole years, since I was 15 years old! I am in no way an expert at relationships, but I have learned a hell of a lot – which is what I shall share with you.

COMMUNICATION IS EVERYTHING. It’s so important and a lot better to talk to each other about everything and anything. For someone that suffers with panic attacks and anxiety, I would always bottle problems up inside my head and not talk about them, yet I’d expect Alex to practically read my mind & then get annoyed when he doesn’t understand. This is where most of our arguments come into things. I learned that expecting him to just ‘get me’ all the time is completely ridiculous. Talk, talk and talk to your partner and it will make a world of a difference.

GO ON DATES. Sure, dates are something that usually happens more at the start of a relationship to help get to know each other and eventually (in my personal experience) as the years go by, I found us going on ‘dates’ less and less. Nowadays, we like to have a date night at least once a month whether that’s going out for dinner, going on a long walk, bowling or even the cinema. Otherwise it can get a little    b o r i n g.

TRY NOT TO GO TO BED ANGRY. I admit, we do this sometimes. Especially if we’ve had a little tiff that same night. I would turn around to face the other way, have a little cry out of anger and fall asleep – obviously it’s no surprise when I wake up in a bad mood. It’s just not really a good idea to fall asleep whilst angry, kiss and make up before bed so that you wake up with a better, positive mind.

GIVE EACHOTHER SPACE. Let’s just say that this something I didn’t want to do at the beginning of the relationship. I was clingy as f**k. I felt like I needed to be with him every day and text him every 2 minutes when he was gone. Yes. I was that psycho girlfriend L O L. I learned that seeing each other all the time made us argue even more compared to when we spend some time apart, it then makes us look forward to seeing each other and it’s always the best when we do. Spend equal amounts of quality time with your friends and family.


IT’S THE LITTLE MOMENTS THAT MEAN THE MOST. It’s not about all the fancy gifts, although they’re nice and appreciated. But what does really mean the most to me in a relationship are all the little things like: making me smile, spooning, holding hands, laughing together. I like to appreciate every single little thing in our relationship. Appreciation goes a long way

♡♡♡♡♡
Are you in a long-term relationship, if so what are some of the things you have learnt from it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan